Friday, 25 April 2014

Technology

Technology isn't a synonym for digital technology.
I have to say this is half fiction; what I'm about to describe is not really my favourite piece of technology. That's probably laptops and computers and there's not much to say about them.
So I bring you this: my typewriter.
Typewriter

I always wanted a typewriter. One of my aunts had one and I was deeply attracted to it, though it was broken. Last year, before the end of summer, I went to a flea market in Rancagua with my mum, and I ended up buying a record-player and a typewriter. Both of them were working at the moment with just a few faults.
A typewriter, as you may know, is a mechanical piece of technology (which we could call a machine). It has a keyboard with a number of characters (numbers, letters and symbols), a space bar and some special keys for different functions. It's pretty much like a computer keyboard; probably because the computer keyboard is designed to be like a typewriter keyboard. When you press one of the keys the mechanism pushes the type, which prints a letter or symbol by hitting the piece of paper through an ink ribbon.
I don't use it very often really. It's not heavy and has a handle to carry it as a briefcase, but I already carry too much things every time I travel. Still, I have written some stuff using it. It's noisy, but fun. I like it because it's not a screen and you have a material support for what you are writing. So it is half way between handwriting and computer writing. Besides, sometimes I need to change the way I write so I am able to do it. When I get tired of computer and pen is not enough motivation I can try with the typewriter.
If I wouldn't have a typewriter I would still be looking for one. And if they had never existed... well, I can imagine computers without the invention of typewriters.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,David, no comments about your writing.It seems you went full hipster. Just kidding, it is awesome to acquire something that you have wanted for a while. I remember playing with my aunt's typewriter and enjoying the sounds and movements.

    ReplyDelete