Friday, 25 April 2014

Christianity

It's not particularly helpful that the instructions for this week entry are "discuss the topic of Christianity in a free manner". So far we have always had a list of requirements for our entries, so I'm not sure how to start.
I should start by saying that I am a Christian. But I have to say I don't follow a religion as a system, which can be a bit tricky to explain or understand. Specially if you are not "religious" (another conflictive word) you may think that what's usually called religion is just like being a fan of a football team. You may even think that religion is a preference that people should keep for themselves if it gives them comfort. Well, I must say I agree when it comes to what is usually called religion, including Christianity. But that's not quite what Christianity is for me.
As I said I don't follow Christianity as a religious system, but that doesn't mean I'm not part of a Christian community. What I follow is no religious leader or official teachings of any organization but what I myself can read in the Bible.
To me the message of Gospel is quite simple. Every man is a sinner and is therefore separated from God. God provided his Son as a scapegoat for men. So whoever accepts this sacrifice is reconciled to God.
Of course there are also other theological principles, but this are the essential ones as I see them.
As you can see, I don't think everything that calls itself Christianity is really Christianity. There are plenty of religions, sects or groups that have Christ as an important part of their teachings or practices. I can't identify with them. I think most of "Christianity" is void routine and custom. So most of the times, if someone ask me if I believe in God I say yes, but I try to skip the debate between "theists" and atheists. It use to be a pointless and irrational debate from both parties.
I don't aim to make here an apology of what I think Christianity really is, so you can left your questions in the comment section and I'll gladly answer them.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes you don't need to have clear or complete instructions, you only need to have a goal. I get quite conflicted when it comes to discussing the Bible because the Bible was written by men, by the same men that created this evil institution called Catholicism, therefore, for me the Bible is not a good source of faith. The only thing I like about it is when it gets hardcore in Revelations. I also think that those men who wrote made a huge mistake when they kept the story that says that Jesus has only one comandment that is above the rest: Love thy neighbor. Why do I think this? Because that commandment means that you have to respect everyone with no conditions at all.

    ReplyDelete